Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gratitude, Day 11 (Friendship)


I have been giving a lot of serious thought to friendships the past few days.  Because this blogspot has friendship as part of its name, that is a big clue about how important friends are to me.  Today I am  thanking God for all the friends He has given me.  I have always enjoyed making new friends and holding on to old and dear ones.  I am not going to name names here, as I would be bound to inadvertently leave someone out and I don't want to do that as each one of you hold a special place in my heart. 

Jesus was a wonderful model for friendship.  We know that He was close to His special friends, His disciples, especially Peter, James and John.  He cared deeply for the men God had given Him and prayed for them.  In John 15:13, He said, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."  He proved to be the ultimate friend by giving His life for us.  And how thankful I am that He's that friend who "sticks closer than a brother."  Proverbs 18:24. 

One of the things about my friends I'm most thankful for is their prayers for me.  Where would we be without the intercession of friends?  They help us through the hard times with unconditional love and support and our hearts are warmed by the good times we share with them.

Some of my closest friends I've met online!  At one time that would have sounded incredulous, but because of today's technological wonders, we can meet and establish good relationships via the Internet.  I have met one of my online friends and she was just as dear in person as I knew she'd be!  I have special friends from school days I am still close to, friends from my former job and friends from my church who are like family to me. 

I believe God gives us friends who meet different needs in our life.   There are friends I contact when I'm down and need a word of encouragement, others I call when I would like to get together for lunch and sometimes I call friends for just a long, enjoyable chat on the phone.  And I never want to forget that just as God has blessed me with friendships, I too, must be a good friend.  Friendships work both ways and I always want to be available for my friends too, offering encouragement, prayers and many times just a good listening ear.  Thank you, my friends for always being there for me.  I'm so grateful for YOU!

Here are two Christmas cards I made today:



No comments:

Post a Comment