Monday, November 14, 2011

Gratitude, Day 13 (Music)


Today's Day of Gratitude came to me as I was sitting here listening to our young neighbor singing her heart out.  She hasn't lived in the adjoining apartment very long, just a few months but we've had a couple of short conversations as we've ridden up in the elevator together.  She's a very sweet, outgoing young woman who is in theater and we can hear her practicing most days in the early afternoon and sometimes at night when we go into the kitchen.  One of our neighbors down the hall thought it would be distracting to hear someone singing so often, but we enjoy listening to her.  I always feel I'm being given a private concert!  She's very gifted and has a beautiful voice. 

This led me into thinking how music is so much a part of our lives.  We use our voices to sing praises to Jesus.  There are so many wonderful old hymns and gospel songs that I've grown up with and still enjoy singing today.  Southern Gospel will always be my first choice in music, but I do like many contemporary Christian songs.  At times, I make up my own songs of praise to sing to Jesus.  I may not have the most perfect voice, but He thinks I sing beautifully! 

I like the wide variety of music we can choose to listen to.  I'm a big jazz fan myself and also enjoy swing and classical music.  I have friends and family who like other kinds of music such as country and rock.  What a blessing to have so many musical choices and venues to enjoy them. 

Some of the sweetest music I've heard has come from the little birds in the park across from our apartment building.  Sometimes when we go to the kiosk there to buy coffee or tea, we sit on a bench nearby to enjoy the fresh air and scenery and there's never a time we aren't serenaded by God's little creatures.  Of course, this is a wonderful reminder of the Lord's great love and care for us.  We all know the words of Jesus from Matthew 6:26, "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?" 

I haven't often given much thought to music as something to be thankful for; sadly, I think I've taken it too much for granted.  So I'm very glad the Lord put it in my heart today to think about how empty my life would be without the sweet sound of music.  Thank You, Jesus for this wonderful gift You've given us.  Someday my heart will soar as I hear the anthem of praises flowing before Your throne in heaven and I'll sing like I've never sung before.  Praise Your Name, Lord Jesus! 

Latest cards:


1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne, I enjoyed your post on music. I can relate to it so much! I love music and also find that southern gospel is my favorite. I love all kinds of music! How neat that you can hear your neighbor singing..God is so good. I love your new cards. You are so talented..Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete