Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gratitude, Day 19 (Beauty)


"You alone are the LORD. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you."  Nehemiah 9:6.

I am thankful for all the beauty God surrounds us with.  Every day the Lord displays His wonders, be it warm sunshine streaming through the window in the morning, the smell of new mown grass , the sound of rain falling,  or a wonderland of pristine white snow in the winter.  How glorious our Father God is to bestow His blessings of beauty on us!

I love the beautiful colors of the rainbow.  When I see a rainbow, I think of God's promise to Noah after the flood, "I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth."  Genesis 9:13. 

My favorite time of the day is early morning, so early that I can watch the sun rise on a new day.  I feel God's promise of new beginnings when I see a sunrise.  I am filled with hope and assurance that Jesus will be with me throughout my day, no matter what it may hold.  There's beauty in a sunset, too as the day is coming to a close and we can reflect on God's goodness to us. 

I love the beauty of trees.  I'm a tree person ~ no desert living for me!  I need trees and flowers to look out upon each day.  And for those who do love the desert, I know it has a beauty all its own. 

God made the four seasons so that we could enjoy a variety of weather.  We don't really have the four seasons where I live here in Southern California, but we do get a sample of each one.  I love Fall most of all with its vibrant and warm colors, followed by Spring when flowers and plants are blooming and there is new life everywhere.  Others enjoy the heat of summer or the coziness of snuggling in front of a crackling fire in the wintertime.

Nothing makes me think more of God's majesty than to look at His mountains.  I'm so thankful I'm surrounded by them.  I stood looking out my window the other day at the snow covered San Gabriel mountains and worshipped God.  If I could, I'd live in the mountains.  I love them!  I wonder if the Lord is building me a big log cabin in heaven as my mansion?  :)

There's beauty in God's creation and in everyday simple pleasures - a stranger's smile, a friend's hug, a mother's love, a husband's devotion, a child's laughter, and so much more.  I'm so thankful, dear Lord, that You have given us so much beauty here on earth.  You've given us a glimpse of heaven if we'll only take the time to look at what's around us and see the beauty of each day.  Help me never to take any of this for granted, but give me eyes to see and appreciate each new day.  Amen.

More Christmas cards!



No comments:

Post a Comment