Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Gratitude, Day 21 (Spiritual Treasures)


“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matt. 6:19-21.

Have you ever considered the riches of our spiritual treasures?  We love our earthly possessions, but Jesus reminds us where our real treasures are - in heaven.  Those things that we cling to here on earth, that are so important to us (or so we think) will eventually rust and decay.  I have a friend whose house was destroyed in a fire several years ago.  After having lost everything, she knows for certain where her real treasure lies.  This morning I awakened to consider what treasures I have in Christ and to thank Him for them. 

First of all, I have Jesus Himself who died for my sins and the sins of all mankind.  Without Him, I don't even want to consider where I would be today.  He is my life, my every breath.  "For in Him we live and move and have our being." Acts 17:28.  He is God's most precious treasure to us.

We have the Bible, God's Word.  I love reading, meditating on and searching the Scriptures each morning.  The Bible is alive and has the answers to all of life's questions and problems.  There are many rich treasures to be discovered in the pages of His Word.  I go to favorite passages to find comfort and new hope and I often make new discoveries that fill my heart with gladness and peace. 

Prayer is a treasure, newly discovered every day.  Spending daily time with our heavenly Father is a priceless treasure He has given us; just to think that we are having a one-on-one personal relationship with the Maker of the Universe ~ how incredibly awesome is this!  Even our quick "dart" prayers are treasures that we whisper to God when we can't pray in depth as we'd like to at a given moment.  God receives those urgent requests and begins to prepare the answers. 

Fellowship with other believers in our Lord Jesus Christ is a special treasure from above.  We need each other for encouragement and for times of refreshing.  We share our burdens and build each other up, reminding one another of God's goodness and that we are praying for them. 

Heaven is a future treasure we look forward to and will one day see.  I often think about the joy of seeing Jesus face to face - His dear face.  And I'm waiting for a hug from Him!  I get teary eyed when I imagine my first glimpse of Him and hearing Him say "Welcome Home!"  And we shall be like Him.  I John 3:2 says, "Beloved, now are we the children of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as he is."  What a glorious treasure that awaits us!

Perhaps you would like to make an expanded list of your own spiritual treasures.  This Thanksgiving season be sure to say a special prayer of thanks to God for His rich outpouring of treasures in your life.  I'm doing that too!

I'm waiting to have that very special cup of virtual tea with you ~ please stop by soon!  This morning I'll be having Berry Blend tea, a delicious blend of raspberry, cranberry and blackberry teas.  This is a small, handpainted Margaret teapot.  Isn't it beautiful? 

No comments:

Post a Comment