Thursday, December 1, 2011

Angels We Have Heard On High


This is my little folk art angel.  Isn't she lovely?  I like her sign proclaiming peace.  I believe this proclamation is a reminder that we all need God's peace during these turbulent times.  When I look at her, I think of one of my favorite Christmas songs, "Angels We Have Heard On High."  And I think of Andy Williams as one who sings it who I most enjoy.  I have one of his Christmas CDs and this Christmas Carol is on it.  I had no idea that this beautiful song was the first Christmas hymn of the Christian church!

Here is a short history and the lyrics to the song.  Join me in singing this beautiful hymn that tells of our dear Savior's birth.

History
In A.D. 129, Telesphous, Bishop of Rome, ordained that, "In the Holy Night of the Nativity of our Lord and Savior, all shall solemnly sing the 'Angel's Hymn.' " With that proclaimation the 'Angels Hymn' became the first Christmas hymn of the Christian church. Its most common English version was translated in 1862 by James Chadwick, and its most memorable feature is its chorus Gloria in Excelsis Deo!, which is Latin for Glory to God in the Highest.

Lyrics
Angels we have heard on high
Singing sweetly o'er the plains,
And the mountains
in reply
Echoing their joyous strains.
Gloria, in excelsis Deo! Gloria, in excelsis Deo!

Shepherds, why this jubilee?
Why your joyous strains prolong?
What the gladsome tidings be,
Which inspire your heavenly song
?
Gloria, in excelsis Deo! Gloria, in excelsis Deo!

Come to Bethlehem and see
Him Whose birth the angels sing;
Come, adore on bended knee,
Christ the Lord, the newborn King.
Gloria, in excelsis Deo! Gloria, in excelsis Deo!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, your angel is lovely!!! And so is that beloved Christmas hymn.

    Hey, I think I read recently (within 2 weeks) that Andy Williams is battling cancer.

    Thanks for adding my button to your blog. As I said, I'm not writing there right now, but I appreciate you adding me nonetheless. And thanks so much for visiting my classic movie blog. I hope you'll find some must-see movies by popping by.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little angel, too. Thank you!
    I am blog hopping & following you from Katherine's Corner. Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/. Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful!Thank you for joining the hop this week, please let me know if you'd like to co host some time. Did you remember to add your wonderful blog to the blog list page? Big Hugs and have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete