Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Enjoy the Season!


My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me - holy is His name.  Luke 2:47-49. 

Good Morning!  It is early and I am having a cup of delicious Bigelow Vanilla Caramel tea.  What a wonderful aroma!  I'm going shopping later this morning and will be looking for some new teas to try, preferably some as yet undiscovered and delightful Christmas teas. 

Each Christmas I tell myself I am not going to get caught up in all the hustle and bustle of the season, but will take it slower and enjoy each day of December, not letting myself get stressed out over the pressure to shop, shop, shop!  Yes, I know I just said in the above paragraph that I'm going shopping today, but I do have a shorter gift list this year.  In the past, I have often allowed myself to be swept along by all the Christmas hoopla and never really taken the time to seriously remind myself what Christmas is all about.  Oh yes, I  know that we're celebrating Jesus birth, but I'm ashamed to say that I didn't truly pause as I should have to really think on this until a couple of days prior to December 25th. 

This season, I've decided that I'm going to spend some time each day reading small portions of the Christmas story, beginning with the angel's announcement to Mary and her response in song (the Magnificat).  I want to meditate on these scriptures and allow myself to vicariously "be there", imagining what it must have been like for this young woman to hear that she was going to be the mother of our Savior.  Many scholars believe that Mary was only 12 or 13 when she became engaged to Joseph and was 14 when she gave birth.  Imagine absorbing all she had just been told by Gabriel and all she would be facing at such a tender age! 

This will be the first Christmas that I've shared my handmade cards with family and friends.  While this may not seem like a big deal to many, it is to me; it's my way of sharing a small part of myself with those I love and care about.  While I can't afford to buy presents for everyone, I can let them know by something small and personal that I've made that they were in my thoughts and prayers as I created a card for them.  I want them to know that each of them is as unique as the cards and that they are loved and valued by me.  I hope they will think of this as they open their cards this Christmas.  They are being sent with lots of love. 

I pray that during this holy time of year the Lord will reveal Himself to you in a new and deeper way.  Celebrate His birth and share His love with all you encounter.  Enjoy the Season!

Sharing my heart with you ~ my Christmas heart ornament:


4 comments:

  1. Vanilla caramel tea sounds delightful! Anything vanilla flavored is wonderful to me.

    Due to another pay cut for my husband (on top of another one 2 years ago), we are very strapped, so, like you, we can't afford gifts this year. While I'm not making handmade cards, I'm doing a Christmas letter, as well as sending photos of our family. That is how we are sending love and thoughts this year.

    I love your Santa hat in your Facebook photo!! You look very festive.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Patti! The photo of me in my Santa hat was taken about 5 years ago at a work Christmas party (I retired 4 years ago). I'm sorry to hear your husband had another pay cut. That's a wonderful idea ~ sending out a Christmas letter with photos. It's a great way to let your family/friends know you care and adds such a personal touch.
    Love & Blessings,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Christmas thoughts and traditions indeed. Much better than the rush....
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ruth, I just stopped by your site and love the mug and the lovely old postcard. What a treasure! So nice to visit your beautiful page. Thanks for stopping by here and leaving your comments. So appreciated! Blessings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete