Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Setting Ambushes


I've always enjoyed reading about King Jehoshaphat and the defeat of Moab and Ammon. This is the story to read for inspiration and motivation to sing and praise when we are frightened, discouraged and need to set ambushes against the enemy.

The story begins with King Jehoshaphat receiving word that a vast army from Edom is coming against Judah. As most of us would be, he becomes alarmed, but oh, how I like what Jehoshaphat does next: "...he resolved to inquire of the LORD, and he proclaimed a fast for all Judah." 2 Chron. 20:3. In all honesty, I haven't fasted in a long time and only recently have given serious thought to doing so again. Prayer and fasting are means to a breakthrough and there are some strongholds, breaking of bondages and deliverances that won't come unless we commit to doing both.

Jehosphaphat stood up before all those who assembled in Judah and cried out to the Lord for His help, admitting that he and the people of God had no power against this huge army coming against them. Here's what the king said next that is such a wonderful example of how we too, should pray, "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon You." 2 Chron. 20:12. So many times, I don't have the answers I need - I'm scared, confused, panicky, but if I'll just keep my eyes on Jesus, He'll take care of the problem for me; the battle is His. And as I'm waiting on Him, I need to begin singing and praising His name; in other words, setting ambushes! Whatever I have to face, the Lord will go before me. I needn't be afraid or discouraged. I will see His deliverance.

This is just what happened in Judah's case. Jehoshaphat appointed singers to go before the army as they set out for the Desert of Tekoa. And as they began to sing and praise the Lord, He set ambushes against their enemies; they began to destroy each other and were defeated. In the same way, when we begin to sing and praise Jesus, we set something in motion in the spiritual realm that will see strongholds demolished, demons defeated and our victory at hand!

The plunder left behind after the destruction of Judah's enemies took Jehoshaphat and his men three days to collect. I believe we receive the plunder from our victories in the form of spiritual treasures that are more valuable than any wealth or prizes we could ever receive here on earth. Among these treasures are knowing that when we praise and worship our King it brings us into closer relationship with Him, we have the rewards of His peace, our faith and trust in God has grown and we can rest in Him. And remember to thank Him for His saving, delivering power!

I have another favorite ornament to share with you today.  I love the unusual design of the three wise men ornament pictured below.  This was a gift from my mother-in-law several years ago.  For many years she has given me one of her beautiful handmade ornaments or one that she especially selected and bought for me.  It has became a tradition that I eagerly look forward to every Christmas.  We have so many of her lovely ornaments hanging on our Christmas tree each year.  I treasure each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment