Thursday, January 5, 2012

Breaking New Ground


Every year at the end of December, the leadership in my church chooses a new name or theme for the coming year.  Last year was "The Year of Advancement",  and in 2010 we had "The Year of Prophecy".  This has been ongoing for many years.  I always eagerly await to hear what each new year will be called and accept it as a prophetic word for myself as well as for our congregation.

I was especially pleased when it was announced that this year's theme would be "The Year of Breaking New Ground."  The Scripture behind this theme is found in Hosea 10:12, "Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the LORD, till He comes and rains righteousness on you."  How hope-filled and anticipatory that sounds; I envision all kinds of possibilities for ground breaking!

A quote from my pastor:  "If we become satisfied with where we are in God and cease to pursue a deeper relationship with Him, we then have need of breaking new ground.  As Hosea 10:12 states, when we break up our fallow ground, we will find a fresh work of God in our lives, "until He comes and rains righteousness" on us as a result."

Did you know that the word fallow means, "plowed but left unseeded during a growing season"?  In order to break new ground, I need to begin planting seeds of all kinds.  And there are some things I need to leave behind me as I move forward into 2012.  I think the most important one for me that needs to go is worries.  How often have I fretted and turned problems over and over in my mind, knowing I should be giving them to the Lord, whose shoulders are bigger and who is well able to carry them?  And when I do give them to Him, it often seems like it isn't long before I'm taking them back!  There will always be "stuff" cropping up to upset or unbalance our daily lives if we let them, but I want to begin this new year with a fresh determination to give all my burdens to Him, NOT taking them back, but letting Jesus be in full control of my life.

I like the portion of the verse in Hosea that speaks about it being time to seek the Lord.  That struck such a deep chord in my heart!  I want so much more of my heavenly Father this year ~ a closer walk, a deeper commitment in prayer, sweet communion, waiting on His "still small voice" and being willing to obey whatever He tells me to do. 

I'm still compiling my list and will probably be sharing more "ground breaking" (sorry, I couldn't resist!)  thoughts and hopes for 2012.  I hope you'll be making your own list, too!

Here's a tea cup and saucer that are very precious to me.  They were given to me in the mid-1990's by my friend Trudy:

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer and for becoming a follower ~ I've joined your blog, too! Yes, I think you're right; sometimes things do seem to taste better in a pretty cup! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect teacups. This is a beauty!Thank you for participating in the Thursday Favorite things hop. I hope you made some new bloggy friends. Hoping your weekend is a sweet one xo P.S. did you enter the pink poodle giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Katherine,
    Thank you for your kind comments. Yes, I have made some very nice bloggy friends from the Thursday Favorite Things hop. I have enjoyed participating and thanks for the reminder to enter the Pink Poodle giveway ~ I'll do that today!
    Many Blessings,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am committed to growing in my faith this year, and one of the ways I am intending to do that is through Anne Voskamp's "One Thousand Gifts" challenge. I actually may resurrect my "beautiful things" blog so I can record my daily gifts there. Seeing joy and giving thanks even in the mundane, ordinary, or trying times are the ways to experience the Lord on a deeper level.

    By the way, I am looking at your Facebook badge right now, which tells me you are on FB. I am going to click the badge and send you a friend request! It will be fun to connect there too, as I actually feel less concerned about privacy there (because of the way I have my account set).

    Have a wonderful Saturday.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti, I would love to hear more about "One Thousand Gifts" challenge. I do hope you'll share with us on your "beautiful things" blog. I'm sure many other followers of yours would be interested, also!
    Happy Saturday afternoon to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your teacup! so beautiful and the what an intersting way to make a theme each year in your church! beautiful verse and thanks for sharing it with us.

    Thanks for dropping by as well to my blog and left a lovely comment :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I totally think things taste better in a pretty cup! And your cup is very pretty. I love those gorgeous flowers!
    Thank you so much for your heartfelt post! I appreciate your thoughts.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete