Monday, November 21, 2011

Gratitude, Day 20 (God's Gifts)

I am so thankful for God's gifts.  He gives us such a wide variety of gifts in various ways and through many people.  Today, I had a routine doctor's appt.  My gift from my heavenly Father today was my doctor.  I've had the same physician for over 10 years now and she is a godsend.  She takes the time to listen to me, offers sound medical advice and suggestions for maintaining my health and is thorough in all she does for me.  I am thankful for Martha, my doctor's nurse.  And what a small world it is, as Martha also attends my church!  I surely know that God brought us together.  This morning I was greeted with a hug and a God bless you as she checked me in and took my blood pressure.  It's the little things or the little "gifts" such as these that warm our hearts and give a good start to our days.

I'm thankful for God's gift of wonderful Christian literature to read in conjunction with my Bible.  I have a couple of outstanding devotionals that I read and I subscribe to several Christian magazines whose articles encourage me in my daily walk with the Lord.  I love reading good books about the lives of Christian heroes of the faith; men and women of the past who devoted their lives to the Lord, encountered struggles and hardships yet never wavered in their faith in God.  They have left us a rich heritage to follow and emulate.  And for shear enjoyment, I love reading Christian historical fiction/romance.  These characters come alive for me and it is a real treat to lose myself in a rich reading of their adventures, love and devotion to God. 

I'm thankful for the way my friends surprise me!  Just this past week through today, I've received gifts of love in the form of a CD, beautiful Thanksgiving cards and a box of delectable petit fours!  And my friend Karen called me today from the high sierras where she and her family are spending thanksgiving with other family members and enjoying the breathtaking scenery and snow.  Don't think this warm weather Southern California girl isn't envious!  (Forgive me Lord).  Every time I receive an email or phone call from a friend telling me that they're praying for me, I know God has given me a special gift.  I love all my friends and thank God for them daily.  Each one brings something unique and wonderful to my life that I would be missing without them. 

The list of God's Gifts would be endless were I to continue, but I will stop here and ask you to make a list of your own.  You may be surprised at how quickly it grows.  Or then again, maybe not!

And last but not least, I am very thankful for God's great grace.  What a marvelous gift!  When I think of the many times He has bestowed His grace upon me, I could weep.  God is so good.  He gives me unmerited favor, something I can't earn, but He gives it freely whenever I need it.  Thank You, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment