Friday, November 18, 2011

Gratitude, Day 17 (Thanksgiving)


Aah...how can we not be grateful for Thanksgiving?  A day to celebrate with food!  Of course, we know it's much more than the enjoyable edibles.  Here is a short history from History.com:

"In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states. It wasn't until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November." 

I love the idea of a day set aside to thank God for His goodness to us, His answers to prayer and the many blessings He has bestowed on us during the year.  I know we're grateful every day for all our Lord does for us, but how good it seems to me to celebrate on this special day, to be reminded of His favor and great grace in our lives and not only remember our blessings, but recount them to ourselves and others and to say a special prayer of gratitude to our heavenly Father. 

Every year I look forward to our Thanksgiving Day service at church.  It's a time to come together, to praise and worship our Lord, hear a message to inspire and encourage us and have a time to share some special testimonies of what God has done and is doing in our lives. 

I have wonderful memories of Thanksgiving as a child when our family would all pile into the car and travel from our home in Missouri to my grandmother's house, about 80 miles away in Fayetteville, AR.  There all the aunts, uncles and cousins would gather for a rich feast of food, fun and laughter, with the older relatives once again reliving Thanksgivings past and missing those who were no longer at our table, but were at a much more glorious feast in Heaven with the One who had called them home.  After dinner, there was more time for reminiscing and reflection as we gathered around the piano and sang old time hymns together.  Later, as twilight settled in, we would go back for just one more piece of pie.  I can still hear those dear voices echoing down through the years, the laughter and tears of gratitude that we were all together for another year and had been so blessed by the Lord.

Many Thanksgivings have come and gone since those days, and our family circle has been broken due to many of our dear loved ones having gone Home to glory, but today I continue to be thankful for my family, those who have gone on and those still here and the wonderful times we shared.  During my growing up years, I took these special holiday gatherings for granted.  How I wish I could go back and recapture those wonderful times again, but I have so much to be thankful for now and I don't want to look back with sadness; only joy and gratitude.

Thank You, Lord Jesus for Thanksgiving Day.  Thank You for our families and the special times we share.  Thank You most of all for the gift of Your precious Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.  I'm ever grateful.

"Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go...."

I made this card yesterday:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne, I love your Thanksgiving post, It brought back wonderful memories for me too. I also like your new Christmas card with praise on it! Praise to our wonderful Lord! Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete