Saturday, November 5, 2011

Gratitude, Day 4 (The Bible)


Today I am thinking about how thankful I am for the Bible, God's Holy Word.  What a joy and a privilege it is to be able to read it every day!  We need to feed on the Word of God just as much as we need physical nourishment.  Without it, we will experience spiritual starvation.  I remember few days when I didn't pick up my cherished Bible to read and meditate on.  The Word comes alive when we open it up and begin to read from its pages; words that were written under the inspiration and guidance of the Holy Spirit.  Words that breath life into the one reading its sacred verses.  Words that blaze with truth and holiness.  And words that feed our spirits and draw us to the One who gave His life for us. 

I am thankful that I live in a country where I am free to read the Bible any time I want.  I am thankful for our forefathers who knew the importance of this Holy Book and incorporated it into their daily lives and helped weave it into the fabric of this great nation by their belief in God and following His will and His ways. 

I love carrying my Bible to church.  In this age of super technology, I know it has become popular to carry an ipad, iphone or other device that enables one to read the Bible from a small screen.  I have nothing against it and praise God that His Word is available in such a format, but oh I wouldn't trade carrying my precious, well worn Bible to church for all the electronic readers in the world!  That's just me, but I will never get over the feeling of holding the actual Word in my hands and flipping through its page to search for hidden treasures.  I love the smell of a Bible.  I love just turning its pages and coming across a favorite verse.  I love to re-read notes I've written in the margin and Scriptures I've jotted down during times of need.

How many times have I turned to it when I need a word of encouragement or just a reminder that God loves me, is watching over me and knows every detail of my life and will provide all the answers I need.  Thank You, Lord for Your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment