Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Spirit of Gratitude

During the early days of November, I begin to experience feelings of gratitude and thankfulness rising in me as each day gets closer to Thanksgiving.  Oh yes, I truly am thankful every day of my life for all God's many blessings on me, my husband, my family and friends, but there's just something so special about the days leading up to Thanksgiving; the day we formally give our thanks to God for all He's done for us throughout the past year.  I believe it's a spirit of gratitude we feel due to the anticipation of this wonderful "Day of Thanks" and all it entails - family gatherings, good food and all the wonderful memories we most often have of Thanksgivings past. 

This month through Thanksgiving Day, though I could list so many,  I would like to offer up my thanks for one thing each day that I am thankful for.   

Today I am thankful for life.  I am thankful for waking up each day and knowing that God always has something special planned for me, if only I am willing to listen and discern His voice.  More times than I'd like to admit, I am in such a rush to begin my day that I don't always take the time I should to pray and listen for my "instructions" for that particular day.  Even so, I am thankful that God is patient with me and when I do settle down to listen for His voice, He will tell me what He wants me to do.  I am thankful that though I am older, God still uses me.  If I'm here, He isn't through with me yet!  There was a time not long ago that I felt as though my years of usefulness for the Lord were basically over.  I thought that because I had just turned 60 that He didn't have much left for me to do.  I know now it was the enemy of my soul who whispered such things to me, as he always wants us to live in discouragement and defeat, but thanks to the prayers, encouragement and wise counsel of friends, I know that my heavenly Father will always have kingdom work for me to do as long as I'm here on this earth.  Praise God!  I love the verse from Isaiah 46:4 that says, "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."  I am comforted every time I read this verse and know that our God loves us and will always sustain us through all the days of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I think offering thanks for one thing each day of the month is a wonderful idea Anne! I look forward to checking in!

    ReplyDelete